PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

3.30.2012

Life with Mulitples

Today I am linking with Kelly for SUYL- multiples. Growing up I always wanted to be a twin and as I got older I thought it would be fun to have twin babies.  I got my wish and I love having these two and i love the bond that they will share.

When I found out it was twins both Clayton and I were in shock. I had been sent to the hospital to receive fluids after being extremely sick. The ultrasound tech said something about two and we were both confused about what was going on. The Dr confirmed it was twins and things changed from there. My dad is a twin and I always wanted to have twins. I had a few friends that were twins growing up and I loved that they always had each other.

I was excited to tell our families and friends the good news. Everyone was very excited. After dealing with a very rough pregnancy which included a 63 day hospital stay I went into labor when I was 29 weeks and 6 days pregnant. Although many steps were taken to stop labor, the babies were born breathing on their own and fighting.

Emma and Levi were in the NICU for 52 and 53 days respectively. They both came home just shy of their two month birthday. Bringing home one baby is overwhelming but adding in the second you almost need a small army to take care of them. I can't imagine having triplets or quads.

It was a huge adjustment and I have to say that my husband and my mom were the biggest blessings. When the babies came home I was still nursing, but because of their small size I was pumping the milk and we were giving it to them in bottles. At first we tried to have one feeding during the night where one person did it by themselves but quickly Clayton and I agreed that we could get it done faster is we just joined forces and each fed a baby. We quickly settled into a routine and figured out how to handle these two sweet miracles.

It has definitely gotten easier as they have gotten older. Shortly after coming home both babies developed severe acid reflux which is common among preemies. It was frustrating and so sad to watch them be in so much pain as well as to see them throw up so often. Luckily as they've gotten bigger and matured the reflux and has gotten so much better.

Because they were preemies, Emma and Levi are a little delayed when it comes to milestones. At almost11months both babies are finally rolling,  siting up and beginning to crawl. I struggle with this when I  see other babies their age crawling and doing things Emma and Levi should be doing. I know they will do it in their own time and I am forever grateful to be able to watch these sweet babies grow.

Life with two babies can be challenging when it comes to taking them places and getting enough snuggles in. But we've learned to adapt and we are enjoying this crazy ride with twins! I am excited that they will always have each other. It's like a built in my best friend and my hope is that they will love each other above anyone else!

Feel free to read more of our story. You can read their birth story here and here  . You can also read about what its like to have a preemie here.

Thank you for stopping by. Feel free to browse and read the rest of our story!


.

4 comments:

  1. They are so stinking cute! I know how hard it is coming home with your second, so I can imagine coming home with two newbies at once is crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. visiting from Kellys....they are adorable, cant even tell they are preemies. With us we brought one baby home and had about 5 days to adjust and then just joined the second one in the mix. As you know though the scariest part was not having the monitors at first, on such edge. Looking forward to continue watching your babies grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow your little ones are soooo cute!

    my first is overdue by 3 days as of april 1st. not twins though, just one little lady

    anyways, just wanted to say..great blog!

    ReplyDelete